you're reading...
Famous Athletes Series, House of David

Famous Athletes Series: Lloyd Dalager, Autographed

A couple weeks ago I wrote about my quest (unfulfilled) for a signed Famous Athletes card of Darnell (Hard) Knox. It made me think about some of the other cards that I’ve tried to get signed in that series. I was successful getting a Lloyd Dalager back in 2007. Lloyd, you may know, is the last living player for the old House of David teams. He was 94 when he signed for me and it was one of the best baseball related experiences that I’ve ever had. I had been invited to attend a vintage ballgame at the compound, which is on the other side of the state. It was well worth the trip. The day was beautiful and the grass was green. I really enjoy watching vintage style games and this one was a humdinger. For several innings I sat on the old wooden bench next to Mr. Dalager. He was really a gentleman and was kind enough to talk about the old days with me. He did sign a couple cards and I am picturing one below. Does anyone else have one of these signed? I know that he didn’t sign through the mail.

About Charles

This blog is about vintage and hand-made baseball cards, art, brewing and cigars, history and anything interesting that I think should be passed along. Come often, you are welcome!

Discussion

7 thoughts on “Famous Athletes Series: Lloyd Dalager, Autographed

1. Just amazing. What a remarkable piece of baseball history you’ve got there! I can’t help but think there is a motion picture waiting to be made from the whole House of David story!

Posted by John Arnold | June 14, 2018, 2:39 pm
    • John, I looked over your project in some detail. Wow, that is a lot of intricate thinking to bring it together. The research looked like fun–so many things that I enjoy. Looks great!

Posted by Charles | June 28, 2018, 1:00 am
      • Thanks so much, Charles. Coming from someone like you – who combines what must be incredible organizational work and salesmanship with a unique love for art and creativity, somehow also synthesized with a deep abiding love for baseball lore and history – I cannot imagine a nicer compliment. Oh – I picked up another of your cards, the Helmar Oasis #179 Joe McGinnity. On my somewhat limited budget, I’m hoping on picking up a few sample pieces of your amazing work. The “Batter Up!” card of one-armed Pete Gray I got is, quite simply, the most elegant card ever made of Mr. Gray. Cheers!

Posted by John Arnold | June 28, 2018, 9:50 am
  2. With regret, I share that Mr. Dalager passed August 1, 2012. It was after reading an August 3, 2012 article in the Herald Palladium on his passing that I Googled his name and found your blog

Posted by Helen Massey | August 16, 2012, 2:41 pm
  3. Hi Brian, thanks for the update. Lloyd is a treasure, a piece of living history.

Posted by Charles | December 9, 2011, 9:28 am
  4. Lloyd is still alive and still living at the house of david……..

Posted by Brian Mikesell | December 8, 2011, 9:56 pm